Thursday, August 8, 2013

Don't Starve Ham Bat Crochet

The Ham Bat is a melee weapon from the game by Klei called Don't Starve.  It's a survival game where you explore your environment interact with the creatures within and do your best to survive while facing harsh climates and animals.



I didn't take many notes... well in fact I didn't take any... I have a great appreciation for crochet designers with all of the work that goes in creating a pattern. However, I'll try to share my thought processes on this project hope they won't be too foggy for you!




I referenced this picture as I went along.





I started with a magic circle in a worsted weight yarn cream in color.  I believed I used a G hook and worked in continuous rounds.  I think I started with 8 single crochet in the circle.  I increased in the following rounds till I was happy with the size.





I switched to a grey color in same weight.  I did one round in the grey.  I switched to white then and crocheted in the back loops of the grey round making the same amount of single crochets.   I wanted the bone to stick out a little ways from the ham so I continued on in white for three rounds.  I then switched to the main rosy color single crocheting and increasing in the back loops of my final white round.


I increased with the rosy color till I was satisfied with the size.  Switching to the copper brown color to simulate the outer cover of the ham bat, I crocheted in the back loops of the last rosy color round.  I added three picot stitches  to add the sense of the ham being covered in pig skin .....of sorts.....





I continued in this color till I thought it was big enough and began to decrease. I added a milk jug cap to put in the end bone portion to help keep the form.  I also cut out a cardboard dough nut of sorts to keep the face of the ham flat when I stuffed it.  The dough nut hole allowed the end bone piece to get stuffing too.

Begin to stuff.

In the last round I sc then chained 5 ss in second from hook, sc in next, hdc in next, a dc in the last one, sc in the next stitch to again add the sense of torn skin.  I completed this three times evenly in the last round.




I referred to this pattern for the bone handle portion.  I stopped at 18 sc for each of the two end pieces and added a couple more rounds till it seemed distinct enough.

Then add the details with black.






Once I made the bone handled i stuffed it a little added a dowel rod in the handle going up into the ham and stuffed some more.  Then I joined the handle to the ham and voila its a ham bat =)



     



No comments:

Post a Comment