Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Mandrake from Don't Starve

This little guy is one of my daughter's favorite character's from the Don't Starve so far.



There was very few pictures to reference.. So I went from the below picture, plus my own game play.


I didn't take too many notes again =\  I had to focus on what was before.. bit of a time crunch to get it all ready for the con.


I worked with Caron Simply Soft yarn in Bone shade using a G hook.  Worked in continuous rounds 

Begin with a magic circle and 8 sc in circle.  Continue to increase each round  per usual till 24 sc are made.  Continue with 24 sc for 4-5 additional.

I chose to increase slowly.  Every few rounds I would increase in one row and continue with that count for a couple of more rounds.  The largest round has about 48 stitches and that was closest to top of its' head. 


The main body's height  measure about 6.5 inches.


I attached the eyes and mouth before I stuffed it completed and closed.






For the eyes...I believe it was  simply a magic circle with 6sc in the circle.. Cole circle and slip stitch I the first one... Fasten off leaving tail to sew on.   I shaped it once finished and while sewing it on.


The mouth was a chain of 7 hdc in each till the last one..two hdc in last chain continuing around the other side of the row in the remaining loop....should have a total of 10 hdc... slip stitch in beginning .  fasten off leaving tail to sew on.

Once they were attached I stuffed and completed the decreasing rounds.  Oh I forgot!! I added a squeaker in the middle as these Mandrake tend to be noisy!



I did the black detailing before I had stuffed it, but in retrospect I think it would have looked better doing after it was stuffed.



The legs are stumpy ones...



Make two.

Magic circle with 3 sc increase per usual to 12 sc and continue with rounds of 12 sc for a total of 9 rounds from start to finish



The arms are started in the same fashion but increase until there are 15 sc for a grand total of 16 rounds.



For the leafy bits on top ....



I started with a chain of 7 hdc in second chain from the hook and continued across.  Turn and repeat and adding increases focusing on the ends mainly.  Once I got the desire width I began to decrease in the ending stitches as well.  I sc around the leaf in a different green.


I tried to stiffen them, but it didn't work as well so they are floppy.  I attached the the top of the Mandrake once it was completely stuffed.  I didn't like the look of the area around the attached leaves so I made a chain and sewed it around to cover that up =\




In the end I think it turned out alright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment